Saturday, June 16, 2012

Community Art & Intergenerational Communication




            My extensive search for information regarding community-based arts and the influence it renders is the result of watching my hometown community fracture during the past 20 years, due to the forces of globalization and economic hardship.  As I look at my community with its lack of public involvement, declining overall image, and disconnect between the various cultures I realize that change will not happen without help.  I know there is an answer to the problems facing my community, and the best place to start, in my opinion, is with communication. 
Hispanic Legacy Throne

            The article, Creating Public Art through Intergenerational Collaboration, by Alexenberg and Benjamin seemed to address this precise issue, through their descriptions of the “Legacy Thrones” project completed in Biscayne Bay, Florida.   This collaborative effort between a group of multicultural elders and students, began with a dialogue, continued with shared experiences, and resulted in an artistic statement that exudes shared realities and deeper understandings.   These extraordinary sculptures are a vivid expression of collaboration between those of different ages, cultures, and skills. 

            I can see how this technique would be beneficial to my own community, as a means to heal the divide and act as a healing force to help mend this already fractured community.   By articulating and sharing experiences, struggles, and dreams, a project such as this can use art as a bridge between citizens and students, and encourage change and improvement of their lives and community. 



Alexenberg, M., Benjamin, M. (2004). Creating public art through intergenerational collaboration. Art Education, 57(5), 13-18.

No comments:

Post a Comment